MINNEAPOLIS ONE YEAR PHOTOGRAPHY
Minneapolis lifestyle baby photos
Cake smash photoshoots are usually done to commemorate your little one’s first birthday. So, if your that birthday is fast approaching and you’re considering a cake smash session, now is the time to book! Be prepared for a lot of fun, giggles, and a bit of a mess. Our Cake Smash sessions are the most fun of all my Milestone Photography.
Before we got into the messy part of our cake smash photography session, we always sneak in some family pictures. So, be sure to dress up the whole family. Here are some great tips for What to Wear for Family Photos.
Cake Smash Photography near me | Alexandra Robyn Photo + Design
When to book a Cake Smash Photoshoot
If you’d like to use your portraits to display at your wee baby’s birthday party, I typically recommend having your session take place around the 10 1/2-11 months old mark. This will give you time to make prints and order any products that you’d like to display. The best part is, no one will ever know. It’s the best way to do a one year photoshoot!
To offer my clients a unique keepsake, I offer Heirloom Prints with a hand-torn paper finish. Just something special to add a little extra whimsy to our session.
How to prepare for your Cake Smash Photoshoot
Take a deep breath. Keep it simple. There is a good chance our birthday babe might be grumpy or crying at some point. Let’s embrace it. Crying photos are often very cute in their own way and obviously very real. The main point is to not have specific expectations, since babies are unpredictable. By being flexible and thinking creatively, we can make the most out of the moment. Because they are only this little once.
Tips to Help You Prepare for your Cake Smash Photography Session
- Bring snacks: Bring small snacks! This is a great little trick to help us get great images, even if they aren’t interested in smashing. We just stick them right into the back of the cake!
- Avoid getting a chocolate cake. A clean Vanilla Cake really does look best. Lemon, Funfetti, or Yellow are all great options! My Favorite Local Minneapolis Baker is Hey There Cupcake
- Cake prep: If you’re picking up your cake the day before your session please remember to take it out of the refrigerator a few hours in advance so that the icing can soften.
- Be prepared to participate! Some babies don’t quite get the hang of the smash right away so you may need to get your hands into the cake to help them get started.
- We might be getting a wee bit messy. So be sure to bring an extra outfit for baby and possibly one for yourself! I love to find local outfits from: Goodnight Moon, Oh Baby, Sweet Pea & Co, or Pacifier. But Target’s Cat & Jack or Cloud Island and Amazon both have great neutral clothing choices!
Book your cake smash photoshoot today
Alexandra Robyn is a Minneapolis-based photographer focused on capturing milestones + motherhood through timeless and joyful images.
We want your Family Photo experience to reflect you in every way. We’ll strive to provide thoughtful and deliberate imagery to make your photos truly one-of-a-kind.
From the moment we connect, it’s my goal to make you completely comfortable. I know just where to take you, how to plan your day, and will surround you with the kind of energy that makes you actually excited to be in front of the camera.
To book your own Family Photography today, or to learn more about Alexandra Robyn and her photography services, click here.
Loved this post? Follow along on Instagram and here are other Photo Blog posts you might like: